Sandboxie is a proprietary sandbox-based isolation program developed by Ronen Tzur, for 32-bit Windows NT-based operating systems. It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive. An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing.
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer. When you run a program on your computer, data flows from the hard disk to the program via read operations. The data is then processed and displayed, and finally flows back from the progam to the hard disk via write operations.
Sandboxie changes the rules such that write operations do not make it back to your hard disk.
• Intercept changes to both your files and registry settings, making it virtually impossible for any software to reach outside the sandbox.
• Traps cached browser items into the sandbox as a by-product of normal operation, so when you throw away the sandbox, all the history records and other side-effects of your browsing disappear as well.
Benefits of the Isolated Sandbox:
• Secure Web Browsing: Running your Web browser under the protection of Sandboxie means that all malicious software downloaded by the browser is trapped in the sandbox and can be discarded trivially.
• Enhanced Privacy: Browsing history, cookies, and cached temporary files collected while Web browsing stay in the sandbox and don't leak into Windows.
• Secure E-mail: Viruses and other malicious software that might be hiding in your email can't break out of the sandbox and can't infect your real system.
• Windows Stays Lean: Prevent wear-and-tear in Windows by installing software into an isolated sandbox.
Translations: The following languages can be selected during installation: English, Albanian, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese (Brasil), Russian and Turkish.
Windows 2000: You may need to install GDIPLUS.DLL if you don't already have it.
Windows 64-bit: Not supported. Please read more here.
Windows 7: 32-bit Windows 7 (build 7000 only) is partially supported by Sandboxie version 3.36.
Changes in Version 3.36 (13 April 2009):
* Albanian translation contributed by Besmir Godole.
* Chinese (Traditional) translation contributed by tenhon.
* Czech translation contributed by Virec Jaroslav.
* Russian translation contributed by Sergey Burkun.
* New application configuration system makes it easy to activate configurations and resolve conflicts with third-party software.
* Intercept AutoPlay notifications for better protection of CD/DVD and USB drives which are protected (forced) by Sandboxie.
* Sandboxie Control does not abort if the tray icon cannot be installed.
* Border around sandboxed windows uses less CPU resources and does not appear around full screen Web video windows.
* Fixes related to Windows Vista:
o Support "Run As" UAC elevation requests for sandboxed programs.
o Fixed a problem with Internet Explorer 8 when User Account Controls (UAC) is enabled.
o Fixed a problem that prevented a clean start of Windows Installer.
o Fixed a problem with starting Windows Live Messenger.
o Fixed a problem with use of some plug-and-play hardware such as webcams and joysticks.
* Fixes to Quick Recovery and Immediate Recovery:
o Correctly recover files that have a long name or a long path.
o Suspend Immediate Recovery notifications until the file is no longer in use by the application that created it.
o Improved support for Immediate Recovery with Google Chrome and Microsoft Office products.
* Many more fixes under a hood for a smoother Sandboxie experience.
* Resolved conflict with eEye Blink (version 4.3.0 or later)
* Resolved conflict with Outpost Firewall during installation.